Swine Flu Alert Raised to Level 5

• Sorry but DHRWorld.com site is down. I am working on it I will be using the backup site Jatune.com in the mean time

2i0qbeb.jpg

The World Health Organization raised its pandemic alert to 5, its second-highest level Wednesday, indicating the outbreak of swine flu that originated in Mexico is nearing widespread human infection.

Swine influenza is a respiratory illness that is caused by the influenza A virus.
It is transmitted from infected pigs and also by human-to-human contact.

With the current swine-flu outbreak, which has seen hundreds of people infected in Mexico, the United States and other countries, close to becoming a pandemic, the Ministry of Health of Jamaica has urged persons with flu-like symptoms to stay at home and consult a doctor immediately.

Dr. Margaret Chan, the U.N. agency's director-general, said the decision mean to raise the alert to 5 on its 6-point scale indicated that all countries should "immediately" activate pandemic preparedness plans.

At the same time, the Ministry of Agriculture of Jamaica is on high alert and has heightened its surveillance of the local swine population, and urged veterinarians, pig farmers and animal health technicians to increase their vigilance and notify the Veterinary Services Division of any unexplained illnesses in swine.