Kartel’s Latest Album Sells Only Eight Copies

• Sorry but DHRWorld.com site is down. I am working on it I will be using the backup site Jatune.com in the mean time

vybz-kartel-pon-di-gaza.jpg
Vybz Kartel released his “Pon Di Gaza” album independently via Adidjahiem Records/NotNice Records, but according to some reports - based on Nielsen SoundScan figures - a measly eight copies of the album were sold in its first week. 519 individual downloads of various singles off the album were recorded for the same first week period.

While the album release was done without the backing of a major label/distributor, and seemingly with minimal marketing support, if the numbers are indeed correct, they are particularly stunning given Vybz Kartel’s local and global popularity.

There was no visible attempt to market the album to a crossover audience (i.e. American / British / Japanese etc. listeners who will actually pay for music), and the hardcore base of dancehall / reggae fans apparently do not want to pay for music.

“Pon Di Gaza” is available online iTunes and Amazon; if you’re a fan, buy your copy now.

Big Surprise

What sensible person would spend their money on that album? Must be the 8 ppl who buy it, make a million copies, then resell dem for a dollar apiece LOL Rexxy I hope anno u write dis article bout Vybz Kartel flop is "stunning" caz deres nutten stunning about it. Stunning woulda be if he had sold more than a dozen copies LMAO!! As for the iTunes n Amazon promotion why dont u buy a copy n make it available on ReggaeMe? Dem shoulda hire me fi market it, as much as mi nuh rate di artist, the album woulda sell off :p but then again dem couldnt afford my services :rolleyes: