Beenie Man's 'Sizzle' concert

• Sorry but DHRWorld.com site is down. I am working on it I will be using the backup site Jatune.com in the mean time

beenie.jpg
Beenie Man's 'Sizzle' concert, originally set for August 5, will now be held on Saturday, August 22. And that was not the only major change for the deejay's celebratory concert for 30 years in music announced at Pure Plush, New Kingston, on Wednesday night.

Sizzle will be held inside the National Stadium and not in the car park as was originally planned.

The name of the event is different from 'Summer Sizzle', as it was known when held previously at the Jamalco Sports Club in Halse Hall, Clarendon. A grinning Beenie Man said "We called it Summer Sizzle when I was with Shocking Vibes. I don't know if Shocking Vibes register the name."

There was laughter from the audience in the nightclub. "I nah run no risk, two man jus' walk in an' sey our show," Beenie Man said.

He said that originally he had wanted to hold a free concert, but then the costs hit home. He thanked main sponsors LIME (The Gleaner and STAR are also sponsors) for coming on board and "making it even better, make I do what I want to do".

"Is for the people to come enjoy a Jamaican artiste who want my standard known before I'm a dead man," Beenie Man said.

Although Sizzle will not be free, Beenie Man said he will still be giving away 5,000 tickets.

Among the very long list of performers at the concert, which begins at 8 p.m., are Shaggy, Sizzla, Funkmaster Flex, John Holt, D'Angel, Etana, Fanton Mojah, Maya, Vybz Kartel and the Portmore Empire, Destra, Bunjie Galin, Junior Reid and Andrew and Wada Blood. Sizzle will be organised in segments, including oldies and soca.

In addition, Beenie Man said "I'm trying to lock down Janet Jackson for August 22."

There was much good-natured banter and memories of earlier times between Beenie Man and Dr Kingsley 'Ragashanti' Stewart, who hosted the launch. And LIME's Stephen Miller made the connection between the telecommunications provider and Beenie Man, saying "Like LIME, Beenie Man has reinvented himself over the years, allowing himself to remain relevant.

Senator Warren Newby, speaking on behalf of Culture Minister Olivia 'Babsy' Grange, congratulated Beenie Man as a dancehall pioneer, noting that he is a trendsetter. There was emphasis on the need to structure the dancehall sector more so that it can realise its potential.

Damian Crawford spoke about Beenie Man's longevity as an example to young people, recalling the deejay from early days at Kingston College when Beenie Man was already known as King of the Dancehall. Speaking not in his PNPYO capacity, but "as a young person who enjoys music, I endorse Beenie Man's 'Sizzle' as the place to be for the summer", Crawford said.

Hahaha @ Beenie worried if ppl goin remember him when he pass. I am sure they will. But he still a clown anyway.

So addi d creature n ex-wife performin @ his show. Dem all are clowns. O well happy birthday to him. LOL @ I'm trying to lock down Janet Jackson for August 22...