A Jamaican Dogsled Team? You Mush Be Joking!

• Sorry but DHRWorld.com site is down. I am working on it I will be using the backup site Jatune.com in the mean time

21kcsxe.jpg

Newton Marshall is hoping to recreate the success seen in 1990s blockbuster Cool Runnings by being part of the first Jamaican team to take part in a gruelling global dog race championship.

Newton, a former horseriding guide, came to be a part of the dogsled team purely by chance.

While working for Chukka Caribbean Adventures, he was asked by his boss to look after some dogs the company had adopted.

Over time, the company began giving cart rides using the shelter dogs.

In a wave of inspiration one afternoon, company chairman Danny Melville decided to form the Jamaica Dogsled Team.

Danny chose Newton to work with the sled-pulling dogs as he was the one handling them on a regular basis.

Newton soon proved to be a natural, amazing everyone as he had never even seen snow before.

Setting out for the tournament on St Valentine's Day, Newton joined 28 other contestants from around the globe for 1,000 mile Yukon Quest dog race.

Newton says his friends think he is a madman for taking part in this sport.

He, however, remains unfazed.

"I'm the first black man and the first Jamaican in the Quest, so I'm quite proud of that."