VP Set To Release 2-CD Gregory Isaacs Tribute

• Sorry but DHRWorld.com site is down. I am working on it I will be using the backup site Jatune.com in the mean time

gregory_isaacs.jpg
VP Records is proud to announce the double-disc collection, We Remember Gregory Isaacs, available August 16, 2011. Saxophonist and producer Dean Fraser has assembled an all-star cast of contemporay singers and musicians to pay homage to the icon, who The New York Times describes as “the most exquisite vocalist in reggae.”

This week there will be a special live set dedicated to Isaacs at Reggae Sumfest 2011 (the most popular reggae festival held annually in Jamaica). The show will feature live cover performances by legendary and new artists as they celebrate Isaacs' life and music.

"When my friend Gregory passed away last year, I wanted to express my appreciation for our musical association and love for him as a close friend. We’d performed together all over the world through the late ‘70s and ‘80s when I was a member of We The People and later with Sly & Robbie. I decided to do a tribute album, but had no money to produce it. I reached out to the reggae community and was overwhelmed by people's willingness to give their time and talents to make this vision real," explains Fraser.

We Remember Gregory Isaacs presents sixteen of the legendary vocalists’ most loved songs sung by artists including Tarrus Riley, Etana, Romain Virgo, J Boog, Gyptian and Duane Stephenson. Including his classic hits like “Front Door,” “Mr Brown,” “Night Nurse,” “Storm,” “Soon Forward,” “Tune In,” “My Number One,” “The Border,” “Love Is Overdue” and “Red Rose” and obscure favorites such as “My Only Lover” and “Stranger In Town,” the legacy of Gregory Isaacs lives on with this stellar collection. The album also includes extensive liner notes and a bonus disc of instrumental versions by Dean Fraser.

"I recorded the instrumental versions in a day or so. As I listened back to the tracks I felt like adding vocals could be an even greater tribute. Having worked closely with Duane Stephenson and Tarrus Riley they were the first people I called with the idea. When we started voicing, certain artists just seemed right for particular songs so, we went with the vibe. It’s exciting to me that these younger performers will bring Gregory’s music to a whole new generation of reggae fans," Fraser adds.

TRACK LISTING

Disc 1- Vocal selections

1. Front Door – Tarrus Riley
2. Top Ten – Hezron
3. All I Have Is Love – Natel
4. My Number One – Gyptian
5. Mr. Brown – Jah Cure
6. Cool Down The Pace – J Boog
7. My Only Lover – Etana
8. Love Is Overdue – D Major
9. Soon Forward - Cherine Anderson
10. Hard Drugs – Busy Signal
11. Night Nurse – Romain Virgo
12. Storm – Lukie D
13. Stranger In Your Town – Chris Boomer
14. Tune In – Alaine
15. Red Rose For Gregory – Chevaughn
16. The Border – Duane Stephenson

Disc 2 - Dean Fraser & band play disc 1 tracklist.