DJ Zumjay

• Sorry but DHRWorld.com site is down. I am working on it I will be using the backup site Jatune.com in the mean time

TRADE UNCY

Nov 28, 2008
Ricardo Makyn -DJ Zumjay

Sadeke Brooks, Staff Reporter

Now a member of the United States Army Reserves, dancehall artiste Zumjay says he has no intentions of going back to music full-time.

Zumjay, real name Rohan Stephens, visited THE STAR yesterday. During the interview, he explained that he joined the army because he did not want his life to be determined by music.

"I joined the army to do music how I want to do music. I don't want my life to be determined by whether or not a selector or disc jock want to play my songs or if someone wants to put me on a show," Zumjay told THE STAR.

"I want to make sure that my family is still okay. I joined the military as a cushion. I am not gonna be a 50-year-old man and still doing music because I need to do music. By that time, I should be comfortable," he said.

Zumjay moved to the US in 2007 after getting married in 2006 to Aviesha Palmer, an insurance broker. He said he decided to move to the country because he wanted to be close to his wife.

solid future

In 2008, Zumjay said he joined the army reserves because of the benefits and the solid future it would provide for himself and his family, which now includes his one-year-old daughter.

"It's just three years out of my life. I will enjoy all the benefits whether I am in the army or not because I joined in war time. So, I am automatically a veteran," said the artiste, who will be deployed to the Middle East in September.

Being in the reserves, he only reports to his unit one weekend out of every month. During the rest of the month, he attends Borough of Manhattan Community College where he is doing a degree in video arts technology.

Although he still records singles and does performances mainly in the US, Zumjay admits there are times when he misses the Jamaican music scene.

"Sometimes I definitely feel like I am missing out, but I know that the sacrifices I am making are worthwhile," he said with hints of an American accent.

However, he does not believe his musical career would have been much different.

Zumjay is currently in Jamaica promoting his single Rich/Making Money, which was produced by Full Blast Muzik. While here, he also recorded Sherlock Swag with the Sherlock Family. After leaving Jamaica next week, he will return to the island to shoot the video for Rich/ Making Money.

But before leaving for his one-year stint in the Middle East, he has several shows in the United States and Jamaica and Zumjay says he is not worried about what will happen when he goes to the Middle East.

"A my road this weh mi a haffi trod to fulfil my duty as a man and as a soldier and live my life to the fullest. I know I will miss my family but each day I am there will be one more day closer to seeing my family and friends," Zumjay told THE STAR.