News

Current Events
  • Sorry but DHRWorld.com site is down. I am working on it I will be using the backup site Jatune.com in the mean time

The Jamaican passport is ranked as one of the least valuable travel documents in the Caribbean based on the number of countries which allow its holders visa free travel through their ports of entry. According to power rankings released on Monday by, travel and residence website passportindex.org, holders of a Jamaican passport are granted visa free access to 68 out of the 147 countries it checked around the globe. This left the Jamaican passport with a power ranking of 50. This is the fourth lowest in the CARICOM with only Guyana, Surinam and Haiti’s passports less valuable. In comparison, holders of a Barbadian passport are allowed visa free entry to 119 countries. This makes the Barbadian passport the most valuable in CARICOM with...
(AP) Police in Jamaica say a U.S. tourist has been charged with illegal possession of ammunition after customs officials at an island airport allegedly found a bullet in her handbag. A Monday police statement says the American woman was about to board a flight when she was stopped by security at Sangster International Airport in the northern tourist town of Montego Bay. Police took her into custody and charged her with a breach of the island's firearms act after authorities say they found a 9-mm bullet in her bag. Authorities did not immediately disclose her identity or where she is from. Before her arrest, she was about to board a flight destined for Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
The abduction and rape of a four year old girl allegedly by a 53 year old man in St Ann, has sparked anger and grief among residents in sections of the parish. The man, a farmer from Dunnsville, St Ann remains in police custody and is expected to be charged. The incident happened Friday night but investigators have reportedly been tight-lipped about the matter. Its reported that the girl was snatched from Ocho Rios sometime after 7p.m. on Friday. She was later seen by a motorist walking naked along the Dunnsville main road, near 11:00 p.m. and was taken to hospital and the police notified. Inspector Howard Simmonds of the Ocho Rios police said the child’s mother left her and an infant with a male family friend and went to...
(AP) Jamaica has appointed a veteran law enforcement commander to lead its police force. National Security Minister Peter Bunting announced Monday that Carl Williams will start as police commissioner next week. Williams led anti-drug efforts from 2000 to 2004. He developed a task force to combat lottery scammers and is the founding director of another police unit tasked with fighting organized crime. The 50-year-old Jamaican joined the police in 1984. He takes the place of Owen Ellington, whose retirement was announced by the government in late June. Ellington's retirement comes ahead of a fact-finding inquiry into the conduct of security forces during a bloody 2010 state of emergency. The government said it would also allow a panel...
Reggae singer Siccaturie 'Jah Cure' Alcock and Kamila McDonald, co-host of CVM TV's On Stage and university student, became man and wife at the luxurious Tryall Club Sandy Bay Hanover on Sunday. Jah Cure says he sees himself in the light of a role model for not just entertainers, but for real men who believe in showing their women how special they are. Jah Cure is set to tour Africa for the first time in coming weeks. It is not clear if that’s where the singer is planning to have his honeymoon.
Six of the eight new albums that entered top 10 since January were either booted or trending down. Bob Marley and the Wailers Dub 1 debuted at one but quickly slipped out of the top 10 within two weeks. Crucial Times by Sizzla Kalonji debuted at five then bailed out the top 10 within two weeks. Now and Forever by Sanchez debuted at 10 but didn't last another week in the top 10. Guy With A Guitar by Mishka peaked at four then dropped to 14 the following week. Albums trending out the top 10 include Escape From Babylon To The Kingdom of Zion by Alborosie which debuted last week at six, now at seven. Harder Shade Of Black, a compilation of various Artists debuted at eight this week. The two albums which have shown some...
Kiprich handed General B a spanking. At last year's staging of Sting he showed exactly what he was made of and this year he was cemented his position. At 7:00 am Monster Hemp Higher's General B was on stage and it was at this moment that kiprich decided to roll on and launch his attack. Dressed in black from head to toe, Kip Rich was ready for war. What ensued for the next 8-10 minutes was an entertaining classic dancehall clash. Both aristes went head-to-head, no holds barred and at the end of it, Kiprich stood tall. A dejected General B was spotted leaving the venue shortly after. The Living Fire the artiste formerly known as Chuck Fenda would also inject life into sting with a stinging set. However ran out of steam by...
(AP) Police in Jamaica say they are investigating a significant fraud case at the teachers union and the union's entire accounting staff has been put on leave. The Jamaica Constabulary Force says detectives are "working around the clock" collecting statements and interviews. In a Wednesday statement, the Jamaica Teachers Association says "accounting irregularities" were found during a recent audit. It did not disclose any specifics about the extent of the irregularities. The union says that it is cooperating fully with police and that the fraud investigation does not involve its credit union. Union president-elect Mark Nicely describes the fraud case as "major" and "unprecedented." Outgoing union president Clayton Hall has not...
Despite reports that Vybz Kartel has rejected rival deejay Mavado’s olive branch by turning down his birthday party invitation, Kartel maintains that he is willing to put aside differences with his Gully musical rival to call for an end to violence associated with the Gaza/Gully feud. Vybz Kartel And Mavado made Peace last night Dec. 6 2009 at West Kingston Jamboree, when Mavado called up his arch-rival Vybz Kartel for an onstage declaration of unity. Part 1 <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.reggaeme.com/mediaplayer/player.swf" width="425" height="362"><param name="movie" value="http://www.reggaeme.com/mediaplayer/player.swf" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="FlashVars"...
Respected Jamaican-born chef, Collin Brown, has been shortlisted for the prestigious Craft Guild of Chefs Awards in the United Kingdom (UK). Known as the 'Chef's Oscars' the awards recognise and reward the leading talent working in kitchens all across the industry. The 37-year old Trelawny native, who is head chef and owner of the Chef Collin Brown Restaurant in London's Docklands, has been nominated for the Ethnic Chef of the Year Award.
Approximately 1,000 Chinese tourists have disembarked from a cruise ship in a Jamaican resort town in a groundbreaking visit. The Chinese tourists arrived Wednesday in the northern town of Ocho Rios aboard the 12-deck cruise ship Costa Atlantica. Jamaica’s tourism ministry says the group is on an 86-day cruise that began in Shanghai on March 1. It says Jamaica is the ship’s only Caribbean port call. Last year, Jamaica allowed visa-free travel for vacationers from China as the island tries to develop new markets for its tourism industry. In recent years, Jamaica has also relaxed visa requirements for nationals of countries such as Russia, Venezuela and Colombia. Guest Relations Manager of Costa Atlantica Shao Enyu said the visitors...
There was a lot of drama and near panic in Half Way Tree in St Andrew on Sunday after a man believed to be of insane, disarmed a police officer and shot two people. Reports from the police are that about 2 p.m., a policeman was on patrol in the area when a mad man managed to take away a gun from a policeman. Eyewitnesses say the police was writing a motorist a traffic ticket when the man approached him and grabbed his firearm from the holster. The man began to firing at the officer and then wildly in the Half Way Tree area. The incident sent everyone in the area running for cover. An off duty police officer saw what was happening and intervened by shooting the man. When the shooting ended, it is reported that a woman and another adult...
Buju may not be familiar with how the country run: what make them fighting sensimilla making way for coke to come? I suppose Buju Banton was also “talking crap” in this song. Tapes have revealed that Buju is in fact familiar, maybe not so much with how the country runs, but with why sensimilla must make way for cocaine. In my younger years I held certain members of the reggae community with high regard. I felt inspired by their songs, their teachings of naturality, purity, love, righteousness and oneness. No disrespect to those upright men and women who adhere to those set of principles. But as I grow older I begin to see more clearly that some of those same people are no less phony than religious enthusiasts who preach a...
The 2014 Grammy nominees were revealed on Friday, December 6th, 2013. to be eligible for the 56th Annual Best Reggae Album Grammy Awards, albums must be released between Oct. 1, 2012 and Sept. 30, 2013. Recordings must be in general distribution in the United States. Best Reggae Album Nominees: Beres Hammond - One Love, One Life VP Label: VP Records Ziggy Marley - Ziggy Marley In Concert Label: Tuff Gong Worldwide Sizzla - The Messiah Label: VP Records Sly & Robbie And The Jam Masters - Reggae Connection Label: K'z Records Snoop Lion - Reincarnated The 56th Annual Grammy Awards will be held on January 26, 2014, at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
Bob Marley's eldest daughter Cedella has designed a soccer wear collection inspired by her late father's love of the sport. The Marley Apparel Soccer Capsule Collection 2014 will feature items linked to the reggae great's stylish soccer attire from the 1960s and '70s. The limited edition collection features an array of soccer T-shirts and tracksuit jackets inspired by actual items worn by Marley on the soccer field and by the teams competing in the World Cup. The items are all made from hemp and organic cotton, and each piece maintains a vintage feel while infusing colors from the flags of the United States, England, Brazil, Ghana and France.
Belgian interior minister, Jan Jambon announced he wants a house-to-house search of every address in Molenbeek to see who is living there, noting that some addresses with two registered inhabitants have 10 people there. The Brussels district of Molenbeek was the focus of police raids last week after the Paris attacks, and Mr Jambon said that out of 130 jihadists known to have returned from Syria, 85 are in the tiny commune of Molenbeek. By law in Belgium, you have to register your address with the commune when you move house and put your name on the doorbell. Police will then come to establishe the people who live there are registered.
Vybez kartel beats lisa hype saying she shouldnt be talking to the media about him & photo... kartel say's that it is not 'HIM' You Can Read Her Statement Below First, I would like to say that there is no excuse for a picture of that nature to be a part of the public domain. I admit that the picture is real, but it captures a personal act done in the privacy of my bedroom. I don't know how that got leaked to the media and condemn anyone who would stoop to such a low. However, I understand that I am a public person, and when I say or do something, either articulated and thought out, it carries weight in the public arena. As a result, I must assume personal responsibility for my actions. I would like to apologise specifically to...
Legendary Jamaican reggae Musician, Junior Murvin, best know for the single 'Police and Thieves' is dead. The Portland-based singer reportedly died peacefully at his home at Summers Town Road in Port Antonio early this morning. Murvin, whose real name is Murvin Junior Smith was born in Saint James in 1949, but following the death of his father, relocated to Port Antonio with his mother and other siblings. Murvin would later achieve fame as the singer of 'Police and Thieves', which was an international hit in 1976, produced by Lee 'Scratch' Perry.
World Clash R.E.S.E.T hosted by Irish and Chin did not disappoint for the 2013 season. 7 Sound Systems vied for the coveted title. There were hits, misses and surprises. Congratulations Sky Juice and Metro Media for the well deserved win. You schooled the youths on how to win World Clash. Sky Juice (Metro Media Sound) The biggest surprise for the night without doubt was Sky Juice aka Metro Media. From round 1 to round end, Metro Media established that they were not going to throw insults, but would "beat them and teach them." Using the term 'freeeeeeeeeeee chune,' Sky Juice gave fans their monies worth and easily earned this World Clash win. There was no dispute that the crowd gave him the trophy. Polly Famous (LP International)...
(AP) Police in Jamaica say a French woman has been arrested at an island airport and charged with attempting to smuggle cocaine. The Jamaica Constabulary Force on Sunday identified her as 33-year-old Emillie Legros. They say she told investigators she was a musician and gave a Jamaican address. She was attempting to board a flight to the Belgian capital of Brussels from Sangster International Airport in the northern tourist city of Montego Bay. When her luggage was searched during screening, officials allegedly found four bottles containing a ½ pound (about a quarter kilogram) of cocaine. Legros is due before a magistrate's court on Tuesday. It was not immediately known if she had a lawyer.